If you share computer with other people or have a network of computers with access to multiple people, securing your data is your utmost priority. With the easy availability of Flash Drives and other portable USB hard drives the risk of your data being stolen has increased multi-fold.
There are large number of computer users who share their computers with other people/users/friends. There is a free tool, USB Disabler available to protect your computer/laptop from the risk of stolen data.USB Disabler is a small, simple yet powerful program designed to enable or disable USB storage access on your Windows computer. This program come with a very simple interface which allow you to do the following action:
- Disable any USB storage / PenDrive access to your laptop or pc.
- Set Read-Only access to USB storage / Pendrive, which means nobody can copy your personal documents over their removable storage.
- Reset everything back to Normal so your own USB Storage / Pendrive will be functioning as usual.
How to Use USB Disabler?
- First download USB Disabler from here and extract the zip file.
- Run the executable file from the extracted folder and choose from the Normal, Read Only and Disabled modes.
- Choosing Disable Option will completely stop USB Storage Drive access on the computer.
- Choosing Read Only Option will stop the user from copying any files to the USB drive from computer.
- Normal mode will allow the USB drive to run in normal mode with complete read/write access.
Make sure you have administrative privilege to use USB Disabler on computer. You can also run application with administrative privilege in case you are logged in with any user account. To do this just right-click on the USB Disabler executable file and select Run as administrator.
USB Disable can be run on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 and is compatible with Vista/7 UAC feature.